Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Volcano

Lombok is an island located at the east of the all time famous island Bali in Indonesia. Though it did not get the limelight that Bali enjoys, it has a lot to offer.

My mind was set on hiking Gunung Rinjani when I bought the flight ticket to Lombok.

Gunung Rinjani is an volcano formation that stands at a height of 3726m above sea level on the island. There is a crater lake known as Segara Anak surrounded located in the caldera and there is another small newly formed volcano known as Gunung Baru in the middle of the lake.

See this picture to know what I was talking about.


By the way, I took this picture :) Well, I guess I should not bore you with a lot of details but honestly, Rinjani is one of the most majestic, magnificent and other-worldly places that I have ever been to.


The savannah terrain at the beginning of the hike


The sunset at the camp site


The Milky Way


The sunrise near the peak.


Taken at 3500m


Going down


See the red and yellow dots? Those were our tents!


The hot spring on the way down.

All in all, it was a great hike!

1 comment:

HaLoMi Trekker said...

amazing pictures and great post! thanks for posting about Lombok that we proud. on behalf of Mount Rinjani trekking organizer I am glad to saw your post about that you shared about Mount Rinjani.
wonderful Indonesia and amazing Lombok :)

thank you