Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Methinks

Methinks, I am growing a zeal for swimming and reading lately.

I like to swim in between the dusk. With all the panting and sweating (yes I perspire when I swim, that's how hard I swim), the skies turn from a pinkish orange to to dark-blueish tone and the lights in the swimming pool are turned on without me realizing.

Surreal, is how I would describe the feeling whenever I dive myself beneath the water. To surface and breathe is like getting back to reality and I have to admit that I like the moment inside the water more than the moment up there. It is a spiritual world devoid of all noise, emotion, thoughts and feeling.

One, two, three, four......I count and I count and often I never lost track of how many laps I swam. 20 laps used to be my limit. Now I increase it to 30. Maybe 40 in a month's time.

and one of my reason to like swimming is as I swim, I wouldn't notice as it rains, or as I cry.




Frankly, I have been abandoning my habit for reading for a long time. I remembered last year I was reading A Hundred Years of Solitude but I couldn't stand the emptiness inside and I gave up reading this book.

This week alone I finished reading 2 books of completely different genre. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alenxandre Dumas and A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers by XiaoLu Guo.

The first was a book written by a French in the post-Napoleonic Era. His classics include Three Masketeers. The Count was a thick book with archaic vocabularies but through this book I understood the eccentric and haughty nature of the French. Honestly I don't like the French after reading this book. A tough book to digest though. I looked up for some history of the Europe to understand this book.

The latter was an unknown book I picked up in Carrefour when it was having a RM5 promotion where all the books were piling up somewhere in the hypermarket. It was a book about how a girl hailed all the way from China to London, without knowing a single word of English, met a white man and fell in love with him. It was written from a first-person point of view of the Chinese girl. In the book it actually goes into the cultural collision of the East and the West. This book contains quite a lot of explicit sexual scenes yet this is not the only reason that makes it quite an interesting book to read.

I posted a quote from this book in facebook:

'Love', this English word; like other English words it has tense. 'Loved' or 'will love' or 'have loved'. All these specific tenses mean Love is time-limited thing. Not infinite. It only exists in particular period of time. In Chinese, Love is '爱‘ (ai). It has no tense. No past and future. Love in Chinese means a being, a situation, a circumstance. Love is existence, holding past and future.

If our love existed in Chinese tense, then it will last forever. It will be infinite.






I saw this rainbow right in front of me the other day when I went swimming. Let's go swimming. :)

7 comments:

~Live Life~ said...

Hmmm...very healthy lifstyle...

Hmm...don't like the French? Just based on the book? Anyway, if interested to learn French, go to the blog I mentioned last time...

http://www.lasbellaparis.blogspot.com

And, tell me which Chinese word got tense? haha...

*rarely first to comment*

淑君 said...

哇啊啊啊啊~~~~~~~~
有彩虹啊~~~
呜呜,怎么我都没有机会遇到的==
不公平啦~我是好人咧!

公車 said...

給你一個鼓勵 ..................................................

stupid said...

:)

Alfred Toh said...

I like the quote and the photo so much!
What a healthy life!
If I addicted in swimming I think Im gonna dark like Indian now.

kae vin said...

Live Life:

haha. yeah I know, You are going to Paris la. *envious* That's why I don't like French :P

and Chinese tense = no tense.

Lol so proud to be first to comment a. XD

淑君:

证明我比你好。XD

公车:

Don't spam。

stupid:

XD

Alfred Toh:

yeah thanks.

Wont be any darker. I usually swim in the evening 6 - 8pm. So wont get sun-tanned. XD

:) said...

least u can swim , i cant !