Monday, October 26, 2009

Don't Waste Food

Let's take a break from my Aussie posts. Once in a while, I should always write something more insightful (*ahem) and thoughtful (*ahem ahem) to give my blog more depth (*ahem ahem ahem)

Take a look at this video before I even say anything.



No I am not going to talk about how sad is it or the feeling after watching this. Yes you might be moved. You might shed a tear. You might feel heart-broken. Or worst, you feel nothing. But this is not what I wanted to focus on.

What I wanted to say is, what next?

Do we say to ourselves "there's nothing I can do, let's get over it and move on," despite the bitter reality, despite the pain of seeing other suffer?

We are getting numb aren't we? We say there's a cause for everything and they reap what they sow and we feel better by thinking that it's their own fault that they are unable to be the breadwinners of their own.

Do we still insist on the right of throwing unwanted/unfinished food away simply because we earn the money on our own and we have the absolute right to do whatever to things that we buy?

Are we too engrossed with all our wants in life that we ignore others' needs?

All I wanted to say is that, to be able to sit here to blog, to be able to earn moeny, to not worry about my next meal itself, is already a huge blessing. So are you. To be able to read my blog while munching some snacks, you are somewhat responsible to what is happening on the other side of the planet.

The thoughts scare you huh but let me knock some sense into your head:

People are starving to death because WE are overfed.

Don't deny it. Don't say it's none of your business. It is.

As an individual, probably not much we can do except for donations. But one thing, be appreciative for what you have on the table. Don't waste food.

and honestly speaking, girls that waste food turns me off. I know girls do not have huge appetite but there's always a way to not waste food, either by sharing or take-away or giving it to somebody else or asking for a small portion or what-so-ever. Just don't simply throw it away. and it's a total bullshit that girls try to not finish their food because it's a social norm or they are trying to show their modesty or whatever shit. I totally don't buy into that kind of shit.

I know it sounded a bit harsh but this is how I truly feel.

Though a post like this is like throwing a dying starfish back to the sea but at least I do something and no I am not doing this to make myself feel better.


I am just tyring to get the message across: Don't waste food.

11 comments:

Niel said...

Of course. Why should we waste when people are starving? And wasting shouldn't be a social norm.

fren said...

yup

~Live Life~ said...

Here I am...not clicking your ad though...=P

Anyway, a post with depth...good! Though I have seen this clip long time ago, but it's still impactful...

Yea rite in a lot of ways...But, by reducing the amount we eat, by not wasting food, by thinking of the starvation across the globe, won't do anything much to help those who starve out there...the food won't flow there naturally...

Even if we are doing all that, it's more to just making us feel that we are better people...as a matter of fact...we didn't help out at all...

But, your blog's a good reminder for us...when we can do more in the future, when we have power...may we help those in a more constructive manner...

~Live Life~ said...

Ooops...I over-read a few lines there...same idea...

No offense though, I am not saying that you are blogging this to make yourself feel better...

Just to make my point clear...when u can do more...do more!

kae vin said...

Niel:

Yeah.

Live Life:

Ya by doing all these wouldn't help them in anyway but hey I am saying that we should be appreciative. Not to make oneself feel better but, to actually feel bad about wasting food. We might not be able to change but the starvation of someone is caused by the over-feeding of someone else. With the growing population of mankind, it will be worst.

When you are saying do things in a constructive mannner, does it mean being politically or economically influensive enough?

Even if we are to be so powerful, would we still remain the empathy and the passion to help?

It's a common scene that the more we know about life, the less sensitive and empathetic we will be. Don't you agree?

~Live Life~ said...

Yes I got what u mean...I agree with you...the least we can do is not to waste food and be appreciative...

But, a lot of times, a lot of people, they will just take that as a benchmark in leading their "good" life...In other words...their mindset would be: as long as they don't waste food, be appreciative, give thanks...that's enough...(There's nothing wrong to it)...Whereas, even if they could have done much more (yea, in the sense of politically or economically), they didn't...
You got what I mean? haha...

Initially I don't agree with that "overfeeding someone else will result in a starvation of someone else"...If it's based on the concept of scarcity, everyone is competing for the limited resources...you are definitely right! But, what I thought previously was that even if one does not overfeed his child with 10 hamburgers, that 10 hamburgers won't end up in the mouth of the children in Africa!

With more thorough thought, you are right...In economic sense, take food as a commodity. If every household in developed nations could cut down on food, demand of food will drop, meaning the overall price of food will drop too...And this will enable more poor people to afford food...(Just a simple conjecture based on supply and demandn theory)

Regarding the last point of power vs empathy...no doubt it's a common scene that the more powerful one is, the less empathy he will become...But, this is just not right...the more we know about life, the more we should know what to do in life...

A good reminder for me as well...=)

calvin said...

Five star to this entry.
Love it to bits!
And gotta agree with you, especially on this paragraph:

"and honestly speaking, girls that waste food turns me off. I know girls do not have huge appetite but there's always a way to not waste food, either by sharing or take-away or giving it to somebody else or asking for a small portion or what-so-ever. Just don't simply throw it away. and it's a total bullshit that girls try to not finish their food because it's a social norm or they are trying to show their modesty or whatever shit. I totally don't buy into that kind of shit."

I'm not gonna comment much on this anymore, since you have covered almost everything to be mentioned. But it is great to be reminded by such entry :)

fren said...

talking about food ur making me hungry , penang food post plse!

kae vin said...

Live Life:

I guess this post served its purpose -> to make people thinking.

Thank you for giving it a thought.

and yeah that's exactly what I said.

Calvin:

yay. I know you don't waste food by just looking at your height. XD

fren:

Nah. Maybe next time. :)

joe wee chuah said...

fully agree with u bro! i hate seeing ppl who waste food, especially those who waste food just because they took a bit of it and decided that they don't like it!

Good reminder for us though. and even though u're not making a huge difference by throwing a dying star fish back into the sea, at least it makes a huge difference for that one!

God Bless!

kae vin said...

Thanks bro. At least I know u agree with me :P

:)

Same to u